Hey friends. Time for a friday "I can't be bothered to do work" talk.
KaffiKerla mentions the seemingly irreversible market forces, and asks when the public stops influencing popular culture, and when the market forces start dictating it. When I think about this I can't help but think that this is a very thin line... and that it must be a combination of the society we live in (effects of technology, entertainment exposure through TV and so on) and the markets need to "create" need for entertainment, rather than to wait for the public to show the need for it. It's some sort of a balance. We like to think we're in control of our behaviour, but it's not entirely true. We're basic creatures in many ways, and we are controlled by urges. We can't help but be attracted to a beutifuly man or a woman in an advertisment for underwear. We know that we're being courted by marketing forces, but, since we're very visual beings with basic cravings, it affects us. On the other hand we should have enough self awareness and control not to go buy underwear! It's all in the balance. And up to a certain point I think the balance is still ok. It's sometimes borderline unethical, but that's all right. We just change our views on what is ethical and move on (for better or for worse).
Another thing I've been thinking about. Microsoft is in trouble with it's monopoly tendencies again, this time in Europe. It occurred to me that I don't know what drives Microsoft to do what it does. I think this part of my instinct might be missing! They've huge. They have more money than they know what to do with in many ways. Yet, they want more.... and more. Is there a reason why we don't have a roof on how big a company can be? I realise there are benefits to getting bigger. Sometimes it results in better service, or products. Sometimes it creates jobs, or money for the economy of the country where the corporation resides. This is fine, until we get worried that this company is becoming so dominant that they are starting to dictate our lives. What's the difference between a government and a board of directors? Not as much as you might think. They're elected by the shareholders. They have meetings and vote on laws of the company. They have to report on the status of the company to the public. They must by law uphold the interests of the companys shareholders above all. Hold on... why don't we just go ALL THE WAY in privatisation! Let's make the government a Public Limited Company! It would do well on NASDAQ. There is a thought.
Enough of my ramblings
Finally... the ultimate marriage of market forces and politics... SCHWARZENEGGER FOR GOVERNOR!! (He's already announced his candidacy, for those of you who don't know). I'd wote for him!
Signing off for the weekend.
Engin ummæli:
Skrifa ummæli